Sunday, March 13, 2005

Goa: Visions of Paradise


click image for larger version

When in India last September I made a short trip to visit our ancestral temple near Ponda, Goa. The early morning flight reached Goa before 8:00. Enroute to the temple I saw this quintessential Goan field, and had the driver stop. It was a partly cloudy day and the overnight rains had soaked through.

And to the right, this!


And turning back on the road, this!


This tiny store is across from the Ramnathi Temple. Even as a kid, I remember this "Maama" (uncle in konkani) tending this store. Years ago, it was a tiny metal box about 4 feet across, now he has a much larger, sturdy laterite construction. I make a beeline for those bananas, still hanging on the ghadaay. You pluck which ever you want. Reminded me of my abbu's home in Bhatkal. Such ghadaay were always hanging in the veranda, and as we kids ran by, we'd pluck one and feed the skin to the cows :-) Such fun!



Here's a close crop. Pick one.


© 2005 Arun Shanbhag

No comments: